The optical company now known as Lutz Ferrando, was founded by Leopoldo Schnabel in 1878. It was the first company specialising in optics in the Argentine Republic. In 1912, new partners Esteban Ferrando and Guillermo Lutz formed the company with the current name. Lutz Ferrando were keen to market and distribute Leica throughout South America and 32 branches, using only railways and the primitive road infrastructure. Screw mount cameras and accessories engraved with 'Lutz Ferrando y Cia' have become prized collectors items. Lutz Ferrando still exists today, based in Ushuaia, Argentina, dealing in sunglasses and eyewear.